Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Be happy now.


Be happy now.


My Grandmother Mahota was a good one for contentment. She accepted life as it came, solidly - head on, without complaint – regardless of what the universe decided to throw at her. I never recognized this quality until I was about 30, when I began to understand that it’s a most admirable trait in a person – and not a simple one for me to pull off. It’s not always easy to be content in this life, I mean c’mon – life’s not fair, other people have more stuff than me, life has been so much easier for so many, sometimes it seems the innocent and good suffer while the selfish and evil succeed, bad things happen to good people, right? Even though that may be right, it’s irrelevant. It comes down to choice, we have no control over our circumstances – but we can decide how to respond.
 Learn how to be content – it’s a gift you are giving yourself. My Grandmother had to leave school & was picking cotton as a migrant farmworker by 14, by 18 she had lost her Mother to an unexplained illness, battled through an abusive marriage & custody battle in the state of Texas, and was raising a toddler alone. These were not experiences she shared with melancholy or a defeated bitterness, what she endured gave her strength and more than that, made her GRATEFUL.
 (GRATITUDE: the first step toward CONTENTMENTJ
Grateful – for right now, this moment - To no man is promised tomorrow, so enjoy those you love today. Be happy for those who have more than you…
MATTHEW 6:31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Mahota spoke in scripture & parable; I didn’t realize this until my own adulthood when I had started doing bible study for myself. All of a sudden, I would be reading a passage & I would know it as a story my Grandma had told me or a phrase she used often. Raised with no TV, limited radio and not really a “social life” to speak of, my Grandmother and her family read the bible EVERY NIGHT. That was the book from which she learned to not only read, but how to live and be happy- IN SPITE OF WHATEVER CIRCUMSTANCES. Mahota lived an “unremarkable life” by most standards; a devoted wife & homemaker who raised a family of five, went back to work- retired from the factory after 25 years & loved to shop at the Salvation Army… but the impact she had on people was remarkable – Mahota had a way of listening to and knowing you, a patience and a wisdom that people sought out. My Grandmother lived her faith; opposed to most organized religion- she believed worship was a private experience. Some people wear bracelets that say WWJD (what would Jesus do?), well she actually did. She often told me I made my relationship with God to difficult, “He’s not that hard to understand Jennie” she would say, “The Golden rule & Psalm 23 pretty much sum it up.” J And so that’s my advice to you Dear Reader, don’t make it more difficult than it has to be, be grateful – be content wherever you are, you see- God will meet you ANYWHERE and loves you UNCONDITIONALLY…

JOHN 4:39 Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me everything I ever did.” 40 So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. 41 And because of his words many more became believers. 42 They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.”